Sunday, October 18, 2015

12 Weeks Old


Nelson's Notes:  I am the chewing master!  Listen to all the things I chewed on this week:  my toys, my bones, my crate, blanket on the floor,  the big dog, towel, the rug, shoes, a check, sticks, and entire pretty bush, trash, a tennis ball, dirt, my tail, the big dog's tail, and that is just the stuff I REMEMBER chewing on!  I just keep growing and getting better.  I do this because I am just SO curious!!  I get these tricks my human wants me to do pretty easily and I just chill for the most part, but sometimes I get bored and go looking for something to chew and it is amazing what I can find!  I don't get why the human makes me drop or ignore most of it though,  I am only allowed to love and chew a few things, but I do that really well.  I got curious and explored the whole library by myself on Friday afternoon (that did not last long though) and today I figured out how the big dog is getting outside by herself!  I am just learning so much!

Lia's Notes:  He is learning too much.  He followed me outside today.  Outside, on a beautiful fall day when I just wanted to relax in my sanctuary----but no, he learned how to follow me and of course just wanted to chew on things.  Including me.  Sigh, the things I put up with.  I like when his chew toys come out, because I like those.....and he is good enough about sharing but then he starts chewing on ME, even though there are several other toys he could chew.  I left him the "best" ones.  Bottom line:  he is a little annoying and I am too cool too be bothered with having to teach him everything.

Susan's Notes:  He is learning sooo much!  He IS a pretty smart guy and this means that I have to think one step ahead of him,  try to think what he is thinking,  and try to keep him from being bored and going to look for his own adventures.  For the most part he is a good dog, and I control his environment so he can't get in too much trouble.  I say that and I will turn my back to weed the garden as he plays and suddenly I no longer have a beautiful Texas Sage bush, I have a pile of pretty silver leaves.  The wind blows a check from a table to the floor and goodbye money (luckily I had already cashed it!); or he will try to chew on the towel--the one I am WEARING as I get dressed.  However, I am the teacher and that is when I remember DISTRACTION.  It works almost every time.  I was so proud of myself when instead of getting frustrated and angry after Nelson tried to eat the towel (yes the one I was wrapped in), the clothes I left on the floor, the clean ones hanging in the closet---I instead threw his little elephant (ok a little in frustration) and said "FETCH" and for the first time he actually did it!  We spent 5 minutes playing fetch in my closet and it reminded me why I am doing this.  He is getting better at sit, down and walking with me (his hardest one), and is also starting to pick up on shake, stay and leave it.   He is getting better and better at school too.  He made it to a meeting this week AND into the very loud gym at dismissal, all without blinking.  Some of the kids try to 'sneak' in a pet as we walk past and I am proud when he continues to pay attention to me.  I know focus is really hard for a puppy to learn when there are so many fun alternatives to explore.   Puppy class is next weekend, Halloween is coming up (wait until you see our costumes!) and I can't wait to see what we learn next.






No comments:

Post a Comment